Finding healthy pet food is not as easy as it may sound. Walk into a local pet supplies store and you will be amazed at the vast selection available. There are special formulas for small animals, large animals, those with digestive issues, those who are older, those needing to lose weight, and so much more. However, how can you be sure that the food you buy is actually healthy for your pet?
There are a lot of things to consider before you make a purchase. Failure to do so can cause harm to your pet, or at the very least, provide them with a diet lacking in nutrients.
What to Look For
When looking for the right food for your pet, the first thing to do is check the ingredients list. The first few on the list are the most important. The value of a pet food depends on the type of pet you own.
Healthy Cat Food
A healthy cat is a happy cat! Here’s what to look for when purchasing food for your feline friend:
1. Animal Protein: This should be the first ingredient on the list. It’s important that the protein be animal based, like chicken or turkey. Remember, cats are carnivores!
2. Low Carbohydrates: Look for foods that contain little to no grains. This ensures that the carbohydrate levels are low.
3. Consider Wet Food: It may be a good idea to consider feeding your cat wet food regularly. They contain animal proteins and a sufficient amount of water.
Healthy Dog Food
Dogs require a bit more diversity in their diet. If you are food shopping for your canine friend, here’s what to look for:
1. Balance: Dogs are omnivores, therefore their diets should consist of 40% meat, 50% vegetables and 10% grains. Dogs also require some fat in their diet.
2. Protein: The first ingredient on the food’s label should be protein, preferably animal. However, do pay attention to subsequent ingredients. Manufacturers will often break grain ingredients down to make them appear to be in smaller quantities. In reality, they add up to be more than the protein content.
3. Avoid Soy, Corn, Cornmeal and Wheat: These ingredients are not easily digested by canines.
Healthy pet food is not always easy to find and can be a little more pricey than conventional foods. However, you will save yourself in veterinarian bills by providing your pet with the healthiest food available.